Santiago Jaramillo knows all about dramatic change, when he was just 10 years old he immigrated to the U.S. and had to figure out how to thrive in a new country that came with its own set of rules.
And thrive he did, to the point where he’s since earned himself titles like CEO and author. As a serial entrepreneur, he took his past experiences and used them to help others navigate change and now he’s in a transition period himself. He’s just sold Emplify, a company he founded, and he’s having to decide what comes next.
“It’s a little disorienting, but it’s also wonderfully fraught with possibility and it’s both deeply exciting and also terrifying.” What Santi is describing will sound familiar to many of us.
So how does he navigate murky waters and help others to do the same? By making Zero Excuses and embracing change.
- The ability to adapt makes all the difference
- Leading by example maybe be a cliche phrase but that’s because it’s a good idea
- You can either grow and change, or you can be left behind
- Understanding what motivates a person can get you both on the same page
Things to Listen For:
- [01:18] What it’s like to create a business and then sell it
- [01:59] The vision behind Emplify
- [03:11] Practicing what you preach
- [05:37] Recognizing opportunities to grow when faced with them
- [07:20] The power shift from employer to employee
- [09:20] The valuing in seeing someone as a whole person, not just an employee
- [11:14] Understanding what motivates people
- [12:42] Santiago’s immigration journey
- [14:00] How learning how to navigate change early on shaped Santiago
- [17:41] The process of finding purpose outside of work
- [20:38] Focusing on winning well vs. just winning or losing
- [22:58] Asking deeper questions about yourself can lead to important change
- [24:34] Creating a vision that people want to be a part of
After You Listen:
- Connect with Santiago Jaramillo: https://www.linkedin.com/in/santiagojaramillo
- Learn more about Emplify: https://emplify.com/
- Learn more about 15five: https://www.15five.com/
- Connect with Nick: https://www.linkedin.com/in/smarrelli/
- Learn more about GadellNet Consulting Services: https://gadellnet.com/
More from the Zero Excuses Podcast: