For teens and young adults with cancer or multiple sclerosis, navigating these diseases in the prime of their life is a lonely endeavor. Ryan O’Donoghue is on a mission to create impact through life-changing outdoor adventures.
“That rock doesn’t care that you have cancer; those rapids aren’t going to mellow out.They’re not treating you any differently.”
After losing his brother, Colin, to cancer at age 28, Ryan founded Rise Above It, an organization committed to advancing the field of adolescent and young adult oncology. Now, he serves as CEO for both First Descents and their for-profit subsidiary, Stoke Broker.
Through each of these companies, and with a Zero Excuses mentality, Ryan is helping young adults with serious health conditions overcome their perceived limitations and regain their self-confidence.
- Doing hard things makes doing hard things easier
- You can’t control what happens, only your response
- People matter more than anything
Things to Listen For:
- [05:01] The magic of the outdoors
- [07:45] What “Zero Excuses” means to Ryan
- [11:59] What does it mean to “add life to days”?
- [15:46] Helping others live with zero excuses
- [19:39] Make gratitude a practice
After You Listen:
- Connect with Ryan: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanodonoghue/
- Learn more about First Descents: https://firstdescents.org
- Learn more about Stoke Broker: https://www.stokebroker.com
- Connect with Nick: https://www.linkedin.com/in/smarrelli/
- Learn more about GadellNet Consulting Services: https://gadellnet.com/
More from the Zero Excuses Podcast: